I find that many people use MinGW on Windows, but some redistros don't support standard library and COM well, and the configurations for MinGW and nana are complicated, therefore people often encounter the compiling/linkage errors.

So, I decided to create a simple IDE which would contain a MinGW and compiled nana. Also will provide a package management that can easy to update MinGW and nana, and easy to switch different versions of MinGW and nana.

A screenshot. It's now under development, so it looks simple.
5cac14971f5b0.png

BTW, don't forget to reach me at twitter.com/jinhao023

I find that many people use MinGW on Windows, but some redistros don't support standard library and COM well, and the configurations for MinGW and nana are complicated, therefore people often encounter the compiling/linkage errors. So, I decided to create a simple IDE which would contain a MinGW and compiled nana. Also will provide a package management that can easy to update MinGW and nana, and easy to switch different versions of MinGW and nana. A screenshot. It's now under development, so it looks simple. ![5cac14971f5b0.png](serve/attachment&path=5cac14971f5b0.png) BTW, don't forget to reach me at [twitter.com/jinhao023](http://twitter.com/jinhao023 "twitter.com/jinhao023")

This looks awesome!

Its a lame that i am an adept of VC haha but keep up the good work

Is this made in nana aswell? How did you make the highlight of strings enclosed by quotes on the syntax?

This looks awesome! Its a lame that i am an adept of VC haha but keep up the good work Is this made in nana aswell? How did you make the highlight of strings enclosed by quotes on the syntax?

Is this made in nana aswell? How did you make the highlight of strings enclosed by quotes on the syntax?

Yes, it's made in nana. I created a widget for editing code and highlight of syntax. nana::textbox can't satisfy requirement.

>Is this made in nana aswell? How did you make the highlight of strings enclosed by quotes on the syntax? Yes, it's made in nana. I created a widget for editing code and highlight of syntax. `nana::textbox` can't satisfy requirement.

Yes, it's made in nana. I created a widget for editing code and highlight of syntax. nana::textbox can't satisfy requirement.

Do you mind sharing the source code of the widget as well?

> Yes, it's made in nana. I created a widget for editing code and highlight of syntax. nana::textbox can't satisfy requirement. Do you mind sharing the source code of the widget as well?

Very good !!

It's a great project and something that nana needed smile

Would not it have been easier (or faster) to develop a plugin for vscode, atom ... or any other? I never did any, so I speak from ignorance.

a greeting

Again, sorry for using google translate

Very good !! It's a great project and something that nana needed :) Would not it have been easier (or faster) to develop a plugin for vscode, atom ... or any other? I never did any, so I speak from ignorance. a greeting Again, sorry for using google translate

Sure, I will create a repo on github for the project when the editor supports editing the code. In the screenshot, it just can render code, it’s not editable.

Sure, I will create a repo on github for the project when the editor supports editing the code. In the screenshot, it just can render code, it’s not editable.

Thanks Jinhao for your efforts on this editor. Any idea when the first version will be out?

Thanks Jinhao for your efforts on this editor. Any idea when the first version will be out?

Hi @ABD , it's hard to say an exact time, there are many works are going to be involved, developing nana, improving documentations. I will continuously spend time on this project, and see what we will get by the end of April.

>Thanks Jinhao for your efforts on this editor. Any idea when the first version will be out? Hi @ABD , it's hard to say an exact time, there are many works are going to be involved, developing nana, improving documentations. I will continuously spend time on this project, and see what we will get by the end of April.

Thanks for the update.

I hope this editor gradually turn into a full fledged cross platform IDE for NANA.

Best wishes.

Thanks for the update. I hope this editor gradually turn into a** full fledged cross platform IDE for NANA**. Best wishes.
edited Apr 14 at 10:00 pm

In my opinion this is not an optimal use of a rare and valuable resource: @jinhao's time and knowledge of nana.

I would have very little interest in learning my way around yet another IDE. The IDE might well be optimized for nana, but what about all the other libraries that I use to build an application ( e.g. boost ). Are you going to provide detailed instructions for using your new IDE to build all the other widely used packages?

Stepping back a bit, I prefer the approach used by SQLite. They provide two huge source files, a .h file and and .c file, called the 'amalgamation'. I add these two my project and compile them with my project. In this way I never have to worry about matching up the compiler for my code with the compiler for the SQLite library, because automatically the SQLite code is compiled using the exact same compiler using all the exact same options. The only downside is that a complete project rebuild takes a little longer, but the speed of moderm compilers running on a reasonably powerful machine results in this being only a few tens of seconds. To me, this is a small price to pay for the hours upon hours that have to be spent on configuration management problem solving using pre-build libraries.

In my opinion this is not an optimal use of a rare and valuable resource: @jinhao's time and knowledge of nana. I would have very little interest in learning my way around yet another IDE. The IDE might well be optimized for nana, but what about all the other libraries that I use to build an application ( e.g. boost ). Are you going to provide detailed instructions for using your new IDE to build all the other widely used packages? Stepping back a bit, I prefer the approach used by SQLite. They provide two huge source files, a .h file and and .c file, called the 'amalgamation'. I add these two my project and compile them with my project. In this way I never have to worry about matching up the compiler for my code with the compiler for the SQLite library, because automatically the SQLite code is compiled using the exact same compiler using all the exact same options. The only downside is that a complete project rebuild takes a little longer, but the speed of moderm compilers running on a reasonably powerful machine results in this being only a few tens of seconds. To me, this is a small price to pay for the hours upon hours that have to be spent on configuration management problem solving using pre-build libraries.

I agree with Ravenspoint about the SQlite implementation of .h and .c or .cpp.
It would be nice if NANA come with similar arrangement. In this way no compiler issue would be encountered. The only downside is the compilation duration, which to me is not a big deal.

I agree with Ravenspoint about the SQlite implementation of .h and .c or .cpp. It would be nice if NANA come with similar arrangement. In this way no compiler issue would be encountered. The only downside is the compilation duration, which to me is not a big deal.
edited Apr 15 at 4:14 pm

This is indeed something nana needs.
Could you split this editor from the IDE project, so that it can be seperately contributed to?

>>Is this made in nana aswell? How did you make the highlight of strings enclosed by quotes on the syntax? >Yes, it's made in nana. I created a widget for editing code and highlight of syntax. `nana::textbox` can't satisfy requirement. This is indeed something nana needs. Could you split this editor from the IDE project, so that it can be seperately contributed to?

The best project would be combining this editor with the NANA creator and make it a full IDE. I know it would be a massive task and may takes several years, but it would worth it and makes NANA a lot more useful. Of course this project requires a team of dedicated and experienced NANA users and Jinhao cannot do it by himself alone.

Having NANA IDE makes many companies to switch to NANA for big professional application.

The best project would be combining this editor with the NANA creator and make it a full IDE. I know it would be a massive task and may takes several years, but it would worth it and makes NANA a lot more useful. Of course this project requires a team of dedicated and experienced NANA users and Jinhao cannot do it by himself alone. Having NANA IDE makes many companies to switch to NANA for big professional application.
edited Apr 23 at 3:40 pm

Though I've never tried it, there is CodeLite (https://codelite.org/). It's an open source, free, cross platform IDE specialized in C, C++, PHP and JavaScript.
Though this is based on the dead wxWidgets, it offers a lot. You have the clang based formatting, completion, refactoring and also clang-tidy, if I'm not mistaken. In other words, they put a lot of work into this and you'll probably take years to get anywhere near the same functionality. I have to agree with ravenspoint.

Though I've never tried it, there is **CodeLite** (https://codelite.org/). It's an open source, free, **cross platform** IDE specialized in C, C++, PHP and JavaScript. Though this is based on the dead wxWidgets, it offers a lot. You have the clang based formatting, completion, refactoring and also clang-tidy, if I'm not mistaken. In other words, they put a lot of work into this and you'll probably take years to get anywhere near the same functionality. I have to agree with **ravenspoint**.

Thank you guys for your suggestions! There is a new repo on github for this project,

https://github.com/cnjinhao/kunlun

Now, it only contains the specifications of the project, but it doesn't stop you guys contributing your ideas for the project.

Thank you guys for your suggestions! There is a new repo on github for this project, https://github.com/cnjinhao/kunlun Now, it only contains the specifications of the project, but it doesn't stop you guys contributing your ideas for the project.

So, is Kunlun the official name for the IDE based on nana C++ library?

Does Kunlun mean anything? Why not call it nana IDE ?

So, is Kunlun the official name for the IDE based on nana C++ library? Does Kunlun mean anything? Why not call it **nana IDE** ?
edited May 8 at 2:16 pm

While I understand the worry of ravenspoint and -LC- I need to said that I think this is a good for nana.

Now Jinhao is not "simply" a programer who fixes the errors we report and who develops separate ideas from different small problem each posts here with no link between, but himself developes a "serios" GUI project. Now he will have a stronger and more general vision of what nana programmers need and will set the priorities for nana development himself. This can only be good for the design and development of nana.
Good luck.

While I understand the worry of **ravenspoint** and **_-LC-_** I need to said that I think this is a good for nana. Now **Jinhao** is not "simply" a programer who fixes the errors we report and who develops separate ideas from different small problem each posts here with no link between, but himself developes a "serios" GUI project. Now he will have a stronger and more general vision of what nana programmers need and will set the priorities for nana development himself. This can only be good for the design and development of nana. Good luck.

I entirely agree with qPCR4vir and I wish the best of luck for Jinhao on developing nana IDE application.

I suggest that more experienced and knowledgeable people on GUI and IDE design in the nana forum help Jinhao on this.

Perhaps Jinhao can arrange a team of developers to speed up the development process.

I also suggest that the nana IDE to have at least similar capabilities as Code::Blocks IDE.

I entirely agree with **qPCR4vir** and I wish the best of luck for Jinhao on developing **nana IDE** application. I suggest that more experienced and knowledgeable people on GUI and IDE design in the nana forum help Jinhao on this. Perhaps Jinhao can arrange a team of developers to speed up the development process. I also suggest that the **nana IDE** to have at least similar capabilities as **Code::Blocks IDE**.
edited May 8 at 2:06 pm

The problem is that Nana C++ isn't anywhere near "stable". By this, I mean that many things are still "subject to change". I don’t think it is wise starting to develop an IDE around this, yet.

The problem is that Nana C++ isn't anywhere near "stable". By this, I mean that many things are still "subject to change". I don’t think it is wise starting to develop an IDE around this, **yet**.

-LC-, I understand your concern in connection with nana C++ GUI library stability, but if Jinhao is doing it he can take care of the changes both in the library and the nana IDE so that the user does not suffer much.

_-LC-_, I understand your concern in connection with **nana C++ GUI library** stability, but if Jinhao is doing it he can take care of the changes both in the library and the **nana IDE** so that the user does not suffer much.
edited May 8 at 2:17 pm
views
replies
followers
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft